Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Putting speed control on attic fan

On Aug 22, 11:32*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:18:28 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

wrote:
On Aug 22, 10:29*am, Vic Smith

I already asked about this, but I'll try again.
You just put in the water heater, right?
You posted about venting, but I don't know what you did.
Did you change the venting?
Did you have a problem with the old water heater pilot?
If not, you should look at your venting.
I've got no idea how you let that water heater chase you up to the
attic.

I thought I answered this last time, but the water heater is vented
through an exterior brick chimney. Its not going through the attic at
all. And the water heater is right underneath the chimney vent, so
total length of ducting from the water heater to the chimney is maybe
1 - * 1 1/2 feet

You don't say if you changed the HW vent, either location relative to
the furnace vent, or angle of entry into the chimney, or went to a
different size.
And whether you had the problem with the previous tank.
I'm no expert on venting HW tanks.
I've always left them as I found them.
But you were talking about changing the venting.
If you did, that's where I'd look, not the attic.
Besides blowing out the pilot, wrong flue draft is a safety issue.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Vic, the venting is the same, I changed nothing. It is a 3" rigid duct
(per water heater spec) that leaves the water heater on an upward
pitch and goes directly into the chimney. It is not tied into the
furnace vent, which is on a seperate duct run.
The water heater was installed in January. I first noticed problems
when I started using the attic fan in the summer. If I do a match test
by the draft hood with the attic fan on, the flame is blown out. After
I shut off the attic fan, the flame test is fine, no issues.