Posted to rec.woodworking

Default EMT Design Question

Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Rigid metallic conduit (RMC) and electrical metallic tubing (EMT)
are not the same thing. For your application, you definitely want
EMT. Among other things, you can't bend RMC, and you can EMT. RMC is
waaay overkill.

That is a nice fact to know about RMC. Thank you.

I still think that's going to prove to be the easiest route for you
(assuming you're still intending to surface-mount all of this).

Yes, I don't doubt you that it would be the easiest way.
And, I can't argue with your point that "it's just a garage". But
there is no reason to skimp on this detail. You didnt surface mount
the wiring in your new wine cellar, did you?

In a residential setting, if you're not going to surface mount, then there's
no reason for EMT - just use Romex. It's perfectly acceptable and equally
good. If you're going to use EMT, then do yourself a favor and look at how
it is done every day by the professionals. Look in commercial structures
the next time you're in one. Notice how they don't overcomplicate and mix
concepts the way you are doing? What you call not skimping on details is
really convoluting a very simple practice.

--

-Mike-