Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
I put a pdf file on my website which shows my current thinking
about making an HTTN run through conduit. Evidentally, Rigid (EMT)
is a better choice than Flexible Metal Conduit. BTW, the EMT that is
not vertical will be on the ceiling; my SketchUp skills still need
more work. Please take a peek:

THHN - Not HTTN...

Mike, Thank you for your good comments (and for correcting my spelling)!
As of this moment, I'm planning to go with LarryJ's suggestion of
running FMT to the switchbox, though things like this can change like
the weather. I haven't read the other messages in this thread yet.

Bill

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

As you can see from my pictures, there are 3 electrical boxes--the
switch box mounted behind the wall and the other 2 bexes which are
surface mounted. The pictures basically show my current idea. I am
left with a question or two (if you would be so kind):

So am I - why one flush box and two surface mounted boxes? If you're going
to run EMT, it's much easier to run it all surface mount. You can get
extensions to bring your existing flush mount box out so that it's the same
as your surface mounts if that's the issue.

1. How is the weight of the vertical piece of EMT supported? It seems
that there would be quite a bit of weight on the switch box on the
bottom as I don't think the typical clamps that I've seen are designed
to prevent the EMT from sliding underneath them. Maybe I need special
clamps, extra support for the switch box, or something else?

The box supports the vertical run. If the box is properly installed, it
will have no trouble supporting the riser.

You should spend some time doing google searches on bending EMT. There's
quite a bit of good You Tube material out there and you'll want to view it.
Make sure you understand how to properly measure for bends using the
indicators on your bender, and make sure you get a good handle on bending
offsets - you'll be bending quite of few of them.