Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jerry OHIO Jerry  OHIO is offline

Default Segment turning@Tom

I had to turn the neck sep. because I shortened my mono tube . I made
sure I centered It close when I turned it & used a steady rest when I
put the whole thing back on the lathe to blend the two halves. I have a
piece of 3/4 ply with an all thread rod & just glue & stack the rings &
check my joints before I put a round disk on and tighten a nut to clamp
down the rings. If they slide out of alignment I un clamp & use a putty
knife & fix that screw up. I used to clamp two rings at a time but that
takes forever !
When I started I had trouble sanding the rings flat before I stacked
them. I made a 12" sanding disc & bought sandpaper from a rental floor
sander. You can get 24,36 & 50 grit. I find the 36 gives a rough surface
for the glue between rings. I haven't had any movement problems in my
turnings.
Only my solid stuff moves. That's why I like segment turning.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage