Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:50:43 -0400,
wrote:

I put a pdf file on my website which shows my current thinking
about making an HTTN run through conduit. Evidentally, Rigid (EMT)
is a better choice than Flexible Metal Conduit. BTW, the EMT that is not
vertical will be on the ceiling; my SketchUp skills still need more
work. Please take a peek:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

As you can see from my pictures, there are 3 electrical boxes--the
switch box mounted behind the wall and the other 2 bexes which are
surface mounted. The pictures basically show my current idea. I am left
with a question or two (if you would be so kind):

Show your wiring and conduit maps, too, eh?

I did those in pencil several times, except for necessary revisions.
I'll update my SketchUp drawings. The drawings do force one to address
the tough questions!

1. How is the weight of the vertical piece of EMT supported? It seems
that there would be quite a bit of weight on the switch box on the
bottom as I don't think the typical clamps that I've seen are designed
to prevent the EMT from sliding underneath them. Maybe I need special
clamps, extra support for the switch box, or something else?

The nearly-a-pound is taken up by a strap screwed into the stud.
http://goo.gl/5AQO6 Or switch to stapled romex?

Stapled romex runs to the switchbox and HTTN in EMT runs up (behind the
wall). Running romex after the switchbox may be unthinkable--UNLESS I
color-coded the 3 cables (or use your long FMT solution). It also raises
the wire count in the destination box.

2. I assume, that to attach the 2nd box (the one on the wall), that the
end of the EMT (bent at 90 degrees) is pushed through a hole, connected
to the box (with a screw-type connector) and then the box is screwed to
the stud through the wall. Please correct me if I am missing anything here.

Ceiling box surface mounted with fmt to in-wall box might be my
choice. Romex in wall, stapled to stud. http://goo.gl/UYFER

I was thinking along these lines until I read: FMT is not intended to
run farther than about 48", and that EMT was preferred to FMT.
Your idea seems quite acceptable to me... Does the FMT just enter the
wall through a hole in the drywall? That just cannot be right, can it?

White, right???

Bill