Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default EMT Design Question

I put a pdf file on my website which shows my current thinking
about making an HTTN run through conduit. Evidentally, Rigid (EMT)
is a better choice than Flexible Metal Conduit. BTW, the EMT that is not
vertical will be on the ceiling; my SketchUp skills still need more
work. Please take a peek:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

As you can see from my pictures, there are 3 electrical boxes--the
switch box mounted behind the wall and the other 2 bexes which are
surface mounted. The pictures basically show my current idea. I am left
with a question or two (if you would be so kind):

1. How is the weight of the vertical piece of EMT supported? It seems
that there would be quite a bit of weight on the switch box on the
bottom as I don't think the typical clamps that I've seen are designed
to prevent the EMT from sliding underneath them. Maybe I need special
clamps, extra support for the switch box, or something else?

2. I assume, that to attach the 2nd box (the one on the wall), that the
end of the EMT (bent at 90 degrees) is pushed through a hole, connected
to the box (with a screw-type connector) and then the box is screwed to
the stud through the wall. Please correct me if I am missing anything here.

At least I came up with a way to avoid working at the top-plate near the
eave (which I could not figure out how to deal with)!!! Thank you for
your patience!

Bill

P.S. Doug taught me a little about LL (and LB,LR) conduit body
connectors. These do not seem to make sense here unless you're want to
run the wire before you finish the drywall. No one would use one of
those in this model, would they?