Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharing photos from lighting experiment

On 21 Aug 2011 16:21:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:13:56 -0400, Bill
wrote:

*snip*
Painting the floor sounds alot like planting grass seed.

Painting or touchup once or twice a year is a whole lot less
maintenance than mowing weekly, fertilizing, sprinkler systems, mower
service, mower purchase, gas, oil, etc. A whole lot less.
And once you've worked on a painted floor, you'll never go back. If
you drop only one precious spring or screw in that time, you'll thank
your lucky stars. Dust cleanup is easier, too. And think of all the
-cushioning- all those mils of paint give your feet!

*snip*

I've had a couple painted concrete floors that started to peel after a
short period of time. (Just a few years.) I want to stress the
importance of proper prep, as I think that's what's causing the issues
with peeling paint. (Improper prep.)

My shop (garage) floor had been sealed, so it was a matter of getting
all the old carpet padding adhesive off first. It had been converted
into another bedroom, so I converted it back. And I had HVAC vent
installed so it's conditioned. My shop door to the house looks like
swiss cheese since I drilled it and put in a pair of Filtrete filters
on the shop side. I don't use any chemicals in there unless the
outside or garage door is open and a blower is going.

Yes, prep is of utmost importance. Clean the concrete. Let it dry
_completely_. Now seal it if it's not already sealed. (You want that
even if you don't paint it because it stops ALL concrete dust from
flying.) Then paint it.

I've scraped bits off moving tools around, but none has peeled off.

I guess some methods require a muriatic acid wash or etch to ensure good
paint adhesion.

Only epoxy, and that's a bear to do, considering prep, neutralization,
and the whole epoxy thing. Pass. I used porch and floor paint.

One last tip: If you're working with a precious spring sweep the whole
area before beginning the project. That way, it'll show up better as it
inevitably jumps yards away.

Yes, or use the dust collector attachment as a vacuum cleaner.

Better yet, open the door and blow it out. /lazy wooddorker

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.