Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing the filter on a Craftsman 5 Gallon Clean 'N' CarryWet/Dry Vac.

On Aug 21, 8:31*am, Han wrote:
"David Farber" wrote :

The model number is 113.179255.

A picture of the filter is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixiter/index.html

The nut you see at the top of the picture won't budge. Thus, I cannot
remove the filter. I called Sears and they said it should come off
easily without any tools. The vacuum is less than a year old and only
used a couple of times. I don't think I ever removed the filter
before. You can see how mangled that plastic nut is now after trying
every tool the in drawer to remove it. (Why would they use a plastic
nut?) I must be missing something really obvious. One other thing I
should mention, the owners manual shows the parts blow up which
includes a "filter nut lever." I didn't see anything like that
attached to or near the nut.

Thanks for your replies.

If his is anything like the old, old SHopvac, you don't need the nut. *
All the filters I have had were frictionfit (some fell off easily,
though!). *I just bought a replacement at Home Depot since the guy I had
lent the vac too gave it back so filthy, I chewed off half the filter
trying to clean it with a garden hose :-(

--
Best regards
Han

I have a Craftsman that is probably 20+ years old at
this point. But it uses a similar filter and looks like
the same or similar design. On mine the filter is
held on by a special plastic wing nut, if you will.
That wing nut is large and has only one side,
more like a lever. Sounds to me that could be
what Sears is describing.

If that is what you had, almost all of it is gone
at this point. The special plastic wing nut
is likely formed around a steel nut and in
your case almost all of the plastic is gone.

Something must have been very wrong with
this from the factory for it to have gotten
stuck on there like that in less than a year.
My 20+ year old one still works perfectly.

Have you tried spraying it with penetrating
oil and letting it sit for a day? If it won't
come off with pliers at this point, the only
thing left to do would be to carefully cut
it off with a hacksaw, grinder, or try a
nut splitter. Then you can get a new
nut from Sears.