Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default counterflashing?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:04:42 -0400, "Mk" wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
Our house is built of more-or-less solid cement blocks (c 1920, we
think.) It has a lower roof that butts against the main wall, which
joint I need to flash. My plan for the counterflashing is to cut a slot
along the blocks, to accept the 'top' of some rake edge, with the other
face of the rake laying down over the step flashing.

A single kerf fits the rake edge, but snuggly. I can go with that, and
bed the rake in (silicon?) caulking. Or, I can cut a wider slot
(1/4-1/2"), and bed the rake edge in mortar.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Clarify how you intend to cut along the block. You're not really thinking
of cutting into the block, are you?

Yes. In fact, the first cut is already done. As noted, the blocks are
solid. Not cored.