Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder question

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 00:01:22 -0500, Ignoramus20025

On 2011-08-19, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
On 8/18/2011 11:52 PM, Ignoramus20025 wrote:
First of all, how often are surface grinders needed in the context of
buying-repairing-selling of machinery or general screwing around?

Second, say, I wanted to resurface the face of an anvil. How long will
it take to do with something like a Boyar-Schultz 612 Deluxe surface
grinder (non-CNC)? Taking off, say, 50 thousandths from a face of an
anvil.

I have one and I am trying to decide if I need to keep it or sell.
Mine has an electromagnetic chuck.

thanks

We all have a pretty good idea of the kind of stuff you do. I don't
think you need a surface grinder. I only use mine for die making and
sharpening and for some high-precision parts that I have to hold .0005"
or so. Sell it!

Thanks Tom. I will think some more, but I am leaning in the direction
of your thought.

Ive got a Ramco copy of the B&S 618...and I think Ive used it a half
dozen times in the 10 yrs Ive owned it.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.