Posted to alt.home.repair
G. Morgan[_8_] G. Morgan[_8_] is offline

Default Remote sensing of water holding tank levels (measuring contraption)

SF Man wrote:

Seems to me, I screw the six sensors onto a weighted panel (or pipe) the
depth of the holdin tank ... and then just lower that pipe into the tank
and secure somehow.

Why 6 sensors? You would just need two on each tank, like how limit
switches work in garage door openers. Or are you going for greater
resolution?

You can use the sensors to trigger the timer to start a 'run' cycle when
it gets below the lower switch (sensor). The top sensor would be a
'full' indicator, and shunt the pumps.

The specs note that the wires can be 100 feet long, so that should be fine
if I strategically place the main unit.

Are you going to use their annunciation unit? The sensors can be hooked
to anything, like an alarm/home automation panel or PLC controller.

One intriguing sentence (on the Waterbug WB200) was "Can be used to detect
ABSENSE of water (emphasis mine).

Yup, I've installed dozens. You can get really creative with them, they
are versatile. I've used them to detect any water on the floor in a
university chemical-storage vault. Some of that stuff in there was
explosive if it reacted w/H2O.

I'm was surprised the head of chem.. dept. let me install the sensors
all day alone in there. He said he was the only one with access and
students are never allowed unattended. He gave me all kinds of warnings
about keeping the door locked and the alarm on if I left, but ZERO
instructions on what to do if I knocked a shelf full of volatile
chemicals on the ground.