Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default bulb burnt out with heat damage. Why?

willshak wrote in
m:

wrote the following:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs
of heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy
these bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and
base up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the
base sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base
up in 4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least
a year or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which
looks like a 75 or 100 watt compatible.

of course,it also depends on how a particular CFL is used,in terms of how
long it's left on.
a desk lamp may not be left on for long periods like a kitchen ceiling
light or living room table lamp,or on-off like a hall or bedroom light.

I haven't seen any decent LED desk lamps yet. I may build one myself.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik