Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Car hiitches easy to install!!! except

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:35:50 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:03:35 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

I was amazed to learn this week that a lot of passenger cars not only
have the holes drilled in the frame to attach a hitch, but they even
have nuts welded on the top of the holes so that one can just bolt the
hitch on.

Where did you learn this? Is there a list?

I went to JCWhitney and they sold Curt and Hidden Hitch, and in the
reviews people kept talking about installing the hitch in 30 minutes,
and about not having to drill and cleaning out the threads, and
gradually I figured it out. I went to a couple hitch sites and one
had an FAQ that referred to weldnuts and two had downloadable
installation instructions that were explicit. Although in my case,
I'm supposed to drill two more holes and snake a square U-bolt into
them, in addition to the other two bolts on that side.)

Here's one-
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/fitguides.aspx

(mini wire brush on a dremel might clean out your threads)

Good idea. I don't think this will be such a problem in this case,
but I liked the idea of making my own thread chaser.

If his are where mine were, they are on the top [hidden] end of a
frame member. Might be an access plug in the trunk.

In this Toyotal Solara, they're visible from underneath. I didnt'
realize how close to the bumper they would be. There is a bigger
hole in between the two holes with nuts, and on the right side, in
addition to the two threaded holes, I'm supposed to take out one bolt
that hold the muffler heat shield, and slide the hitch bracket under
the shield. Might have to remove the muffler hanger to do all this.
But doesn't look hard.

Jim