Posted to alt.home.repair

Default counterflashing?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:13:34 -0400, George wrote:

Our house is built of more-or-less solid cement blocks (c 1920, we
think.) It has a lower roof that butts against the main wall, which
joint I need to flash. My plan for the counterflashing is to cut a slot
along the blocks, to accept the 'top' of some rake edge, with the other
face of the rake laying down over the step flashing.

A single kerf fits the rake edge, but snuggly. I can go with that, and
bed the rake in (silicon?) caulking. Or, I can cut a wider slot
(1/4-1/2"), and bed the rake edge in mortar.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons would be appreciated.

How clean of a slot can you make? I was thinking something along the lines of
rubber rope (think screen spline) to mechanically wedge the flashing, then use
the silicone to seal that in. ...just a thought from a DIYer.