Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Hole spacing

On Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:41:49 PM UTC-7, Mike Marlow wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:46:19 AM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space [6] holes evenly

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on that
second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the secondary
line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

It's the compass-and-straightedge method to evenly divide a line
segment: make a second line that is measured off into N equal
bits, connect the Nth mark on second line to the end of the primary
line segment to make a triangle, then (using a bevel in this case
to replicate the angle) by simlar triangles, construct the equally
spaced points on the original line segment. It doesn't really need
any ruler at all (dividers can make equal-size divisions).