Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default Sharing photos from lighting experiment

Larry Jaques wrote:

Today I picked up a Red Dot brand 3-gang external switch box (for "wet
locations") from Kirby-Risk.

Oy, vay! Well, at least you have one.
Why waterproof? Because you wanted surface-mount?

Yes, I was going to go behind the scenes with flexible metal conduit,
but Doug Miller talked me into surface-mount.

http://goo.gl/2REjZ (rub, rub)

They seem to have a nice assortment of covers. Thanks. Why all the
rubbing? You got dust in your eyes?

Only 1 switch?
Hmmm.. you mean use 2 boxes? Saving money is the only rationale I can
think of for that. Remember, I'm after (like Hemmingway), "A Clean,
Well-lighted Place". Neatness counts! : )

2 boxes. Original switch where it is, add for the other circuits.
Logic vs ARmingway.shrug

"A Clean, Well-lighted Place" should not feature unnecessary
distractions. It may also be good for business if I exhibit a good
sense of styylle. lol.. : ) I don't think I want people to feel like
they are standing in the Sanford Arms (an archaic tv reference).

Latex primer on popcorn will accomplish the same stripping effect I
suggested, but not quite what you expected.

Hmmm... Thank you for the heads up. It's not really "popcorn", it's
flatter, but I assume your comment still applies. I clearly need to
investigate this further. From your comments, it sounds like the stuff
is going to roll right off the ceiling while I try to paint it. Correct?

I had my "system" down pretty well, but I
never painted new work or stipple.

Other than _having_ to prime, it's not much different. Popcorn, OTOH,
is a whole 'nother bag of ****. Evil stuff just waiting to fark ya.
You obviously have no idea the evil you're dealing with, but you will.
Within 6" of the first roller touching it.titter

Oh Boy....

I'd rent an airless and spray the whole thing (-after- depopcorning.)
Go primer @ 7am, paint @ noon, take the afternoon off, then put up the
bats and fixtures the next morning.

Why *spray* the ceiling instead of rolling it? That would seem to
create more work covering stuff. I think I can reach everything with the
5' handles I have (I found one handle attached to a brush I use for
cleaning the deck and another one on a sidewalk sweeper).

I need to take time out to grumble some about the popcorn...

Bill