Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_2_] Doug Miller[_2_] is offline

Default bulb burnt out with heat damage. Why?

In article , willshak wrote:
wrote the following:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the bulb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and base
up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the base
sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base up in
4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least a year
or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which looks like a
75 or 100 watt compatible.

They will when they go bad. I've been using CFLs in my house for the last
eight or nine years, and nearly every one that has failed looks remarkably
similar to the photos posted by the OP. You just haven't had yours installed
long enough for you to see that. By the time another year has passed, you
will.