Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default bulb burnt out with heat damage. Why?

"hr(bob) " wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:42 pm, " wrote:
Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The
bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards.
Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of
heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these
bulbs on the celing, facing down?

Here are 2 pictures of the
bulb:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...7627347401427/

Thanks

By energy saving do you mean compaact fluuorescent? If yes, they must
have ventilation, and also burn base down or horiizzontal. You
mounted them in the worst possible environment.

I think I beat that environment. How about outside, in the sun, in a sealed
glass jar.
Must really get hot in there. I left it on continuous for over a year
before failure. No browning. I use them in closed up ceiling lights, and I
prefer it that way. I used to leave the hall light on all the time. I run 3
base up downstairs, on all the time. Never had a problem, except for
infantile failure. They will be changed to different fixtures eventually.
Just porcelain attached to joists.

Greg