Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planes for smoothing

In article , says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

"Greg Guarino"
snipped respectfully.

I have no illusions that my junior high shop teacher would have
pronounced my scrap piece "SSS" (Straight, Square, Smooth) and I

didn't
dare run a try square over it, but the finish was quite surprising. I
looked briefly online, and it seems there are craftsmen who prefer
planing over sanding, at least in some situations.

Sorry, but I can't help much, as I was removed from jr high shop because

took out the school bully with a plane. I was much older before I

learned
about planes. I'm not proud of my improper use of a plane, but I have

never
really regretted it.

If the powers that be won't remove the little ******* from the school
then the only way to deal with him is to beat the crap out of him.
Doesn't really help his other victims, but at least he leaves _you_
alone. Unless you maimed him, in which case, well done.

He wasn't maimed,

Pity.

as I hit him only one time up the side of the face. All
:I can remember is that he was bleeding. I was told later that he had a cut
up for a ways up beside his eye. I was the one who got suspended for a few
days and had to go see a shrink before I could go back to school.

Well of course. No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks on the behalf of
all victims of bullying for taking one for the team.