Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC System - Hack Job?

On Aug 19, 4:56*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in ....
Colbyt wrote:

A friend of mine is buying a house with a heat pump. *The sellers
bought a new outdoor unit, but *left the original old indoor unit
intact.

Be sure to read James post. *All that need be changed is the A-coil.
The rest of the old unit should function fine.

What else is there when it comes to the "indoor unit" other than the
A-frame coil?

I suppose in some places the indoor part is just an air handler. *Here back
up heat strips are required so you have those, the controls, the air handler
part.

Why replace all of that if the proper coil will fit in the old shell?

If it's 20 years old and you can get a whole new unit for
a few hundred dollars more, that would be a good reason.

And if rebates are available from the local utilites, govt,
etc, in most cases they are going to require that the whole
thing be replaced. That's because the system has to be
certified by the manufacturer to meet certain efficiency
standards to qualify. Factor that in, plus any rebates
from the manufacturer, etc and the cost of a
whole new heat pump system versus replacing just
the outside unit and the coil could be small.

I just replaced my unit here this year. *I sure did not buy a new furnace.
We just replaced the *A-coil and the condenser unit.

He doesn't have a furnace so the cost difference of replacing the
whole unit isn't going to be as much.

The average homeowner looks at the old shell and does not see the new coil
inside the unit so they think nothing was done inside.

That's a good point. It's possible that's what happened
in this case. We don't know on what basis they concluded
that only the outside unit was changed.