Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default Repair underground wire to outdoor light?

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:55 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

While gardening, I dug way too deep and cut through the wire (UF
cable) that goes to the lightpost (120volt) at the driveway
entrance . If possible, I want to avoid trenching and replacing the
whole line. I cut the wire close to the house, so... if there's a
reasonable way to splice it, I can get some slack in the wire from the
house side. Or I can just run a new line from the house to the
splice. But, I'm not sure what to do.

1. does HomeDepot sell waterproof electrical junction boxes that have
waterproof clamps for incoming/outgoing wires such that I can make the
splice, put on wire twist caps, and bury the box?
2. do I strip and solder the wires together and then coat the whole
thing with Liquid Electrical Tape and just bury it back up?

Please help. All advice appreciated.
Theodore

*Home Depot and electrical supply companies sell underground splice kits for
UF wire. Basically it is a small round terminal block that gets
encapsulated in shrink tube. You will need a heat gun for the shrink tube.

Home Depot also sells underground splices that include a terminal
strip in a folding plastic case that is filled with waterproof glop.
No heat shirink required. Connect the wires and then fold the case
until it snaps. I have used them before without any problems.