Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Repair underground wire to outdoor light?

Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 8/19/11 8:24 PM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
While gardening, I dug way too deep and cut through the wire (UF
cable) that goes to the lightpost (120volt) at the driveway
entrance . If possible, I want to avoid trenching and replacing the
whole line. I cut the wire close to the house, so... if there's a
reasonable way to splice it, I can get some slack in the wire from the
house side. Or I can just run a new line from the house to the
splice. But, I'm not sure what to do.

1. does HomeDepot sell waterproof electrical junction boxes that have
waterproof clamps for incoming/outgoing wires such that I can make the
splice, put on wire twist caps, and bury the box?
2. do I strip and solder the wires together and then coat the whole
thing with Liquid Electrical Tape and just bury it back up?

Please help. All advice appreciated.
Theodore

You might try DryConn wire nuts. Website he
http://tinyurl.com/3snscla

We've used them at work for some time and haven't seen a failure. We
wrap them in plastic electrical tape and point the small end up.
You'll find plenty of solutions in an online search. Use "underground
wire splice".

Real plumbing supply places sell waterproof splicing kits for use with
submersible well pumps, that is what I'd use.