Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder question

On 2011-08-19, wrote:
First of all, how often are surface grinders needed in the context of
buying-repairing-selling of machinery or general screwing around?

You could use it to make a precise spacer to go between bearings
for the proper pre-load. Or shims to space something just right. Or,
if you want a really flat surface for something.

Second, say, I wanted to resurface the face of an anvil. How long will
it take to do with something like a Boyar-Schultz 612 Deluxe surface
grinder (non-CNC)? Taking off, say, 50 thousandths from a face of an
anvil.

50 thousandths -- Hmm ... you might be able to 0.0005" depth per
pass, so figure 100 passes to reach your depth. And figure a *lot* of
passes to go across the face of the anvil, since you don't cut across
the full width of the stone at a time. Maybe 0.050" per pass at a given
depth. If the machine has automatic feeds, you can set it up and read
something while you work -- but you want to be there to hear if it
starts to bind. You'll probably need to dress the wheel a few times
during that 0.050" depth of cut. (Harold should drop in here and give
*real* figures.) I'm working from the amount of metal my little purely
manual Sanford can handle. Patience is truly a necessity for removing
much metal. I think that a Blanchard grinder might be a quicker way to
get most of that 0.050" off -- and then go to the surface grinder for
the final finish passes.

I have one and I am trying to decide if I need to keep it or sell.
Mine has an electromagnetic chuck.

Nice. Does it have provisions for coolant? (Mine does not,
which is probably one reason for my slow cutting.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Yea boy...I sure wish I could fall into a Blanch grinder! I DID fall
into an Arter rotary surface grinder to sharpen concave round cutters.

I may be able to sell you one, cheap.

Shipping would be a killer! Where I am there is more industrial
equipment than you can imagine and more going to market every day.
BUT...thanks, let me know what you have access to.