Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
cjt cjt is offline

Default Higher wattage for a resistor ever bad?

On 08/16/2011 09:11 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
When I come across a burnt resistor, I usually replace it with one
rated for twice the wattage as the original, but I was told it's
sometimes bad to do that. Why? I'm not referring to fuse resistors
but ordinary carbon composition resistors.

A different sized resistor will have different characteristics at high
frequency, so if those characteristics matter, there could be a problem.