Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default Sharing photos from lighting experiment

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 03:37:49 -0400,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

My light on the bottom left (of my diagram) is just so it's not dark
right where you walk in, because it's adjacent to the attic where there
can't be a light. You are correct (below) when you point out that I'm
not sure what will happen when the lights are combined and the light
bounces off of the walls.

Pure white walls, got it?

Larry, I couldn't find the exact message, but you commented a while back
that
I had a lot of fixtures corresponding to one of my switches. That stuck
in my head
and I thought I would let you know that I decided to proceed with this 3
switch model:

1 2 | 2

3 3 3

1 2 2

3 | 3

That way (1) , (1 and 2) , (3), and (1 and 2 and 3) make sense.
It looks alot like Lew's model from months ago, no?

By the way, the two existing lights (marked '|') are on a separate
branch circuit from the main panel. Their switch is conveniently
located next to the door in the kitchen. That those 2 lights are powered
from the main panel, rather than the shop subpanel, makes for a safer
operation, I think.

How many of those are over the area of the garage door?

4, the third "column".

Being able to
turn those off if you had the door open would be an idea.

Yes, that would be nice. Just another switch and some
more wire I suppose. Perhaps I'll save that for a future enhancement?
I'm in the small group for whom it would Not have occurred to install
lights over the garage door in the first place! ; ) Last summer, I
was planning for 4 new fixtures and somehow that number ballooned to 11,
and the single switch box I had installed became totally inadequate!

Today I picked up a Red Dot brand 3-gang external switch box (for "wet
locations") from Kirby-Risk. If you add together the prices of the
1-gang and 2-gang models at the BORGs, and multiply the result by 3, the
result is just about what I paid. Of course, the price rose 40% after I
told him how many I wanted. At least I finally visited a Kirby-Risk
store..in fact, I visited 2 of them. Before going to Kirby-Risk, I
visited an electrical supplier that went out of business and another one
that didn't actually sell electrical supplies. So yes, it was a full
half-day event, but if I didn't push myself a little I wouldn't have
things to write about. ; )

To install the switch box, are you just supposed to drill some holes
through the back? I have a more intersting question regarding it's
installation which I'll put in new thread.

Why no flexible conduit for a movable light under
the attic access hole, hmm?gd&r

You're flirting with code violations there, buddy! I think the minor one
is that (I think) flexible conduit needs to be secured every 4 feet!
I do have a shop-light resting just inside the access hole. I could
maybe hang it from the rafters?

I will have to go to one of those fancy electrical suppliers to find
an external ("weatherproof type") 3-gang swithbox. The Borgs only have
the 1 and 2 gang varieties.

Why not leave the original as-is?

Only 1 switch?
Hmmm.. you mean use 2 boxes? Saving money is the only rationale I can
think of for that. Remember, I'm after (like Hemmingway), "A Clean,
Well-lighted Place". Neatness counts! : )

Will cleaning the "stipple" on the ceiling with
a broom be enough prep for it?
I washed the other old surfaces with soap and water.

If you reeeeally want to keep (a truly -bad- idea) the popcorn, you'll
have to use a special paint on it. Talk to the paint store nerd.

He steered me towards the primer I mentioned (for everything). He
(salesguy at Menards) was suggesting DutchBoy paint for everything.
White!

You'll want to roll the shop, and throwaway brushes can handle cutting
in. Important note: cut-in and paint 8' wide areas so the cutins
don't dry or they'll show. I finally learned that trick, decades late.

I have found cutting in about 4 inches to be adequate. I already learned
the lesson on not getting too far ahead of yourself on the cutting-in. I
did a lot of painting for 2 summers when I was 19-20. All of my old
supplies are long gone but I mostly remember how to do it though I feel
like I've lost the rhythm. I had my "system" down pretty well, but I
never painted new work or stipple.

Early mornings and late nights solve that problem, especially since
you can now sleep in if you're up late. I'm up at 4am most mornings,
and 95% awake before my little toes hit the carpet, so early mornings
are when I get a lot of work done. Anything inside and quiet work
outside.

Working at night suits me fine, but I don't have a good place to clean
up (drywall mud, etc.) in the dark. Getting up dang-early sounds like a
good way to go. It integrates better for getting other things done too.

Even the grass is growing slow. : )

Mine isn't until I water it. That's why I want to get rid of it.

Grass is a time burner fo' sho'. Weeds may even be worse. I picked 6
hours worth of old ones along the curb this week. Roots were up to 8+
inches. On the 2nd day I started using a pair of pliers along with the
standard week tool (which I recommend).

Thanks for your help!
Bill