Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT[_3_] RogerT[_3_] is offline

Default Some items in refrigerator are freezing

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
RogerT wrote the following:
Thanks again to everyone for all of the suggestions. I finally got over
to the house to really check out the fridge and I couldn't find much of a
problem. "Maybe" there was a tiny bit of slight icing up on one bottle
of Coke that was there but I couldn't find anything else frozen. The
tenant pointing to a pot of rice-and-something that she said was frozen,
but it was actually something with some fat-type product in it and the
fat had solidified but wasn't "frozen".

I did check everything out that everyone suggested (I printed out all of
the ideas before going there and checked them all) and nothing seemed to
be a problem -- nothing was blocked, nothing covering the thermostat,
etc. The freezer thermostat was set at the middle "recommended" setting
and the fridge thermostat was set to the coldest setting. I turned the
freezer thermostat more toward the colder setting and backed off the
fridge thermostat one notch back from the coldest setting toward the less
cold setting. We'll see what happens after the fridge adjusts to the new
seetings, but I think it will be fine.

First, you must know how a refrigerator/freezer works.
The freezer is the sole source of the cooling in the fridge.
If the valve between the freezer and fridge freezes up, cold air will
continue to flow into the fridge, and it will become as cold as the
freezer.
The only fix is to pull the plug and let the valve defrost and be
operationable.

I don't think my situation would involve the valve you described being
frozen since the items in the fridge are not really freezing.

Someone here and/or something that I read in the Frigidaire manual suggested
turning the freezer thermostat to a colder setting and moving the fridge
thermostat to a less cold setting. So I tried that for now and I have a
hunch that will work.