Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Some items in refrigerator are freezing

Thanks again to everyone for all of the suggestions. I finally got over to
the house to really check out the fridge and I couldn't find much of a
problem. "Maybe" there was a tiny bit of slight icing up on one bottle of
Coke that was there but I couldn't find anything else frozen. The tenant
pointing to a pot of rice-and-something that she said was frozen, but it was
actually something with some fat-type product in it and the fat had
solidified but wasn't "frozen".

I did check everything out that everyone suggested (I printed out all of the
ideas before going there and checked them all) and nothing seemed to be a
problem -- nothing was blocked, nothing covering the thermostat, etc. The
freezer thermostat was set at the middle "recommended" setting and the
fridge thermostat was set to the coldest setting. I turned the freezer
thermostat more toward the colder setting and backed off the fridge
thermostat one notch back from the coldest setting toward the less cold
setting. We'll see what happens after the fridge adjusts to the new
seetings, but I think it will be fine.

RogerT wrote:
Frigidaire Refrigerator/Top-Mount Freezer, Model Number FRT21P5A.

I got a call from a tenant who is saying that some items in the
refrigerator are freezing up -- milk, vegetables, etc. Apparently,
the freezer part is working fine. However, she said if she turns the
refrigerator temp setting down (from "colder" toward "cold"), things
in the fridge do not get cold enough.

She said this is not an urgent problem, but she thinks it has been
getting worse over the past 6 months and she is concerned that maybe
the refrigerator is getting ready to fail. I am going to head over
there in a day or two.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of what I should
look for or try while there? If it is not a simple fix or it needs a
part replaced or something like that, I'll have an appliance repair
person come out. I don't actual refrigerator repairs since I don't
know enough about them. But, if there is something I can try
adjusting or cleaning or whatever, I'd like to give that a try first.

Thanks.