Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Planes for smoothing

On Aug 19, 2:07*am, "woodstuff" wrote:
"Greg Guarino"
*snipped respectfully.

I have no illusions that my junior high shop teacher would have
pronounced my scrap piece "SSS" (Straight, Square, Smooth) and I didn't
dare run a try square over it, but the finish was quite surprising. I
looked briefly online, and it seems there are craftsmen who prefer
planing over sanding, at least in some situations.

Sorry, but I can't help much, as I was removed from jr high shop because I
took out the school bully with a plane. *I was much older before I learned
about planes. *I'm not proud of my improper use of a plane, but I have never
really regretted it.

It was only "improper" if you used a #1 or #2 smoother. Too
fine a set. You'd plane him down a lot faster with a #7 or #8
with a crowned iron and wide mouth. Frankly, I'd have just fed
him through a 22" thickness planer and been done with it.