Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Remote sensing of water holding tank levels (measuring contraption)

On 8/19/2011 6:18 AM, Pete C. wrote:

SF Man wrote:

Having recently and unexpectedly run out of water in my holding tanks, I
now see the value in some kind of remote warning system that can be seen
inside the house.

Do you know of a good idea for remote sensing of holding tank water levels?

Presently, there is a chlorox bottle floating in the steel tank which is
roped to a red wooden block that moves up when the water level goes down
(and vice versa).

The problem with this manual method is you have to walk almost to the water
tanks to 'see' the level of the block.

It would be nice to have an indicator in the house that showed the water
level of the tanks, about 100 or 200 feet away and about 20 feet above the
level of the house.

Any ideas for remote sensing of water level?

I would suggest that one of the simplest ways to monitor for low tank
level on this apparently non pressurized tank would be to install a
decent pressure gauge at the house and sharpie mark the pressures that
correspond with low tank level and full tank level.

pressure pump at the tank end of the pipe, so from the house, it looks
like a pressurized tank.