Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Democracy in Action

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:57:07 GMT,

(Doug Miller) wrote:

Try teaching *anything* if you can't communicate it clearly. Let me
know how
well that works for you.

Try teaching *anything* you know nothing about. Let me know how that
works out for you.

I have not really been following this thread very closely, but at a casual
glance, I'm not aware that anyone proposed effectively teaching something
that the instructor knew nothing about. Maybe I missed something, but this
one seems to have come out of left field.

Let's do a thought experiment. For the purposes of the experiment,
we will
stipulate that you have expert knowledge of chemistry, and that you
speak,
understand, read, and write only Polish, and no other language. Your
assignment is to teach high school chemistry in Birmingham, Alabama.

How helpful is that expert knowledge of chemistry in teaching a
classroom full
of students who can't understand anything you say?

Reverse it.

If you reverse it, Doug's point remains equally valid.

--

-Mike-