Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder question

On 8/18/2011 11:52 PM, Ignoramus20025 wrote:
First of all, how often are surface grinders needed in the context of
buying-repairing-selling of machinery or general screwing around?

Second, say, I wanted to resurface the face of an anvil. How long will
it take to do with something like a Boyar-Schultz 612 Deluxe surface
grinder (non-CNC)? Taking off, say, 50 thousandths from a face of an
anvil.

I have one and I am trying to decide if I need to keep it or sell.
Mine has an electromagnetic chuck.

thanks

We all have a pretty good idea of the kind of stuff you do. I don't
think you need a surface grinder. I only use mine for die making and
sharpening and for some high-precision parts that I have to hold .0005"
or so. Sell it!