Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Ratchet spanners

Over the years, I've seen numerous as-seen-on-TV-magic wrenches that have
some notches in the open end pocket, which allow a return swing to work
without sliding or lifting the wrench pocket from the hex fastener (flip
over to apply force the other way), so this design kinda works like a
ratcheting open-end wrench.

So, modifying/grinding a common open-end wrench (possibly copying one of the
types mentioned) might yield a useable 22mm if the fastener torque is
reasonable.

I recently saw a cheap set similar to that style, with a slightly different
gimmic.. which fit both metric and SAE sizes.
They do work, although they're sorta light-duty.. good enuff for bicycle or
car trunk toolkit.
The open ends have 7 notches plus a partial notch.
The box ends are normal-looking 12 point.

They are "Jobsmart" brand from a TSC Tractor Supply Co store.
8-piece Multi-Drive Combination Wrench Set fits 40 sizes, including square
and external torx.
5/16"/8mm to 3/4"/19mm hex sizes.

--
WB

wrote in message
Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of
a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC