Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet mildew at another church

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:40:56 -0700 (PDT), Michael B
wrote:

On Aug 17, 7:35Â*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:07:48 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
In the case of a room flood, I can imagine it being humid
in, and less humid out. So, dumping the humid exhaust
outdoors makes perfect sense.

Of course, that's got to be tough on the environment. Why, I
remember the time when I was out on the yard, enjoying the
dry summer day. Suddenly, it was humid. I learned later that
some people about two miles away were extracting a building,
and dumping all the humidity out doors. Within a few
minutes, I was drying myself with a towel. See who believes
that windy story.

Would you "dessicate" it with dehum, not cook it?

Â*Trust me, when you have half a dozen industrial dehumidifiers
running, COOKING is VERY accurate. They put out about 1500 watts of
heat EACH, running 24 hours a day for several days. That's over 5000
BTU/hour - 120,000 BTU per day EACH.

Where are the air conditioners located? They could provide
serious dehumidification, much better than those weenie
dehumidifiers.

Close up the area, heat it to about 90 degrees, then suck
the hot humid air to the A/C unit, and return considerably
dried air. After the temperature starts going down, just stop
everything, let more humidity be drawn into the less humidified
air, then pull with the A/C again. Then turn off the A/C, crank up
the heat to 90, do it all again.

I find it amazing to frequently see a dehumidifier operating in a
basement, right next to the biggest dehumidifier in the house.

These dehumidifiers were pulling over 20 gallons of water out of the
air every 8 hours for 3 or mare days - and we ran the AC as well,
after the doors were closed.
Lots of paper in an insurance office - and that needed to be dried out
too - never got "wet" but was pretty limp from humidity.

Over a year ago now - and no mold/mildew/smell/whatever.