Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

On Aug 17, 3:03*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 17, 2:30*pm, wrote:

On Aug 17, 12:42*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't know how much time you've spent in college dorm rooms, but
some of them are pretty small and will typically house 2 and sometimes
3 students. Space is at a premium.

Only about 4 years...

Both of my daughters have their beds "lofted" so that they can use the
area underneath for a futon. Since their beds are essentially the
highest surface level in the room, there really aren't "about 1000
other ways to position a clock radio so it is accessible from a bed" -
at least not in a location where it can easily be set/snoozed/reset
with a simple reach of the hand.

Had a loft in the dorm room for two years, so I know all about it. The
platforms on mine were about 12" wider than the mattresses. Plus we
had a shelf that ran between the bed platforms on the window end of
the room. Plenty of places to put a clock radio without fretting over
an impossible task. I had my stereo and my meager CD collection up
there too.

Heck, you can even screw the shelf to the loft. Fasten an upright post
in the corner and put the shelf on the post.

2 girls in 2 different colleges:

Platforms are no wider than the mattresses.

No shelf between the bed and window/wall.

I can't screw anything to the "loft": They're metal bunk frames and
I'd probably get in just as much trouble ($) if I drilled holes in the
bed frames. Clamping a shelf to the bed posts might be an option, but
putting the shelf in an otherwise unused corner is really the best
place for it. It can be seen from anywhere in the room since it faces
out and it's easily reachable by the person in the bed.

Band clamps a couple corner brackets to the bed and screw your shelf
to the brackets.

What's the next project we're working on...?