Bob Haar

Default Pinewood Derby 101 - painting a car and getting a smoothfinish - need help

On 2004/2/23 5:45 PM, "Ed Ahern" wrote:

It is not his project, it is not your project, it is a "Father-Son project.
work with him, let him work with you. The good results are in the time
spent, not speed of car.

Right on - however, it can be a good learning opportunity where the cub
learns from Mom/Dad and then applies the lessons himself. At the same time,
provide guidance and expert opinion is not the same as doing the work for
the scout.

We are in the suburbs of Motown and many of our parents work at the car
companies, including a few who work in the design staff or model making
groups. Some of our Pinewood Derby cars would look fine on the floor of a
car show and I am sure that some of them have been in the wind tunnel. What
we did to deal with this is to have a parents "no holds barred" competition.
Those parents who just had to show off could compete among themselves at the
same time as having an enjoyable learning experience with their sons. BTW -
none of the "show cars" won the actual races.

--
Bob Haar
BSA T-188, Rochester Hills, MI