Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Hall Bill Hall is offline

Default Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 11:45 am, "Bill Hall" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm
room
wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the walls in
any way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...lockshelf.jpg/

The shelf is to hold a clock radio. Last year I used strips of Velcro on
the sides and it held for a few months, but eventually the weight of the
clock and it's use (pushing buttons) caused the Velcro to pull off of
the
wall.

I then added the dowel (again using Velcro) mounted at a 45 degree angle
below the shelf to support the front and it worked fine, but I didn't
like
the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mount the shelf so that it
holds without the dowel? 3M Command strips? Removable Silicon adhesive?

Yes, I am aware that any surface mount that I use could fail because of
the paint on the walls, but let's assume that the paint will hold.

Thanks!

I would suggest a painters "push-up" pole. Use an appropriate sized
conduit
clamp , mount it to the shelf,around the pole. Then simply set the
push -up
against the wall and extend to get compression. Did a similar thing in a
rented apartment once, but with several shelves attached to the pole (mini
speakers.) For appearance sake, your daughter could wrap the pole with
some
snazzy type ribbon as a decoration!

Bill in Plano- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill, that's an interesting concept.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with a "painters push-up pole" and
Googling the term wasn't much help (lots of hit for fiberglass attenna
masts).

Is it something I'll find if I run over to a big box store or
dedicated paint store?

Sorry I wasn't more specific DD. The pole is an extendable pole that screws
into/onto a paint roller that allows you to reach high places for painting
i.e.. ceilings, high walls. You loosen, extend to desired length and tighten
back up. Any paint,hardware, Big Box store carries them. HTH

Bill in Plano