Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default What paint for plumbing bookcase?

On Aug 17, 11:16*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 06:30:52 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

wrote:
On Aug 16, 6:47*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On 16 Aug 2011 21:18:52 GMT, Han wrote:

A friend got this link to a cute modernistic bookcase. *I'm wondering what
kind of pipe and fittings and what kind of black paint might have been
used, so the paint doesn't flake of 1 week after set up.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...diy-plumbing-p...
shelving-097760
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ycac3oz

Looks pretty good.
Pipe flanges, T's and 90 degreee els.
The T's make it a bit "clunky."
I would have used couplings under the shelves and cleated the wall to
hold the back of the shelves.

I didn't read the associated article, but those shelves appear to be
freestanding. *I think they just lean against the wall.

Top flanges most likely screwed into the wall.
Only way you'd get me near it.

I also question the stated cost of $200. *Buying just the steel from
the Borg would probably cost more, nevermind the wood.

For 1/2" black from HD website.

18 ELS 1.20 (21.60)
14 T'S 1.50 (21.00)
8 FLANGES 3.73 (29.84)
18 10" NIPPLES 2.55 (45.90)
32-40' PIPE 11.62 X 4 (10'S) 46.48

Total 164.82

More than I thought it would be.
But that's cutting/threading the verticals yourself from the 10's.
Probably hit +$200 to get it all at threaded lengths.
Good reason to have dies if you do much of this.
Then you'd knock down the nipple cost too.
3/4" would cost roughly 33% more, putting cost higher.
Not really practical. *Just for looks and the hell of it.
But that's one strong shelf frame.

I like the looks of it, but there's a bit of fudging about costs.
What do 10'(?) 1x12s cost? Stain, etc.

I like that there's minimal attachment to the wall. With the right
rubber pads on the bottom flanges to protect the floor, and only 4
holes high up on the wall in a less noticeable area, it's almost
perfect for a tenant. Collapsible and probably comparable in weight
to a simple wooden bookshelf. Though once the black iron got painted
and/or the threads rusted together, getting it apart wouldn't be so
easy.

What's your guess on the load that 3/4" Ts can take with a 12" shelf
support arm?