Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Turning tools

On Aug 12, 2:26*pm, Anon Ymous wrote:
Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

Hello Anon,

See, there are still woodturners reading this forum. The off topic
posts is what keeps me from reading it more, but today I felt that I
should read it and there was your question which has been well
answered from some experienced turners. I only purchased one set of
"cheap" turning tools about 22 years ago and found that they would
become dull while I was turning away from the grinder or at least when
first applied to the wood. I personally own a large number of turning
tools from the major manufacturers: Robert Sorby, Crown Tools, Hamlet
Tools are all good tools.

As a beginning turner, you might find the Easy Rougher tools very
useful or the Hunter Carbide Tools excellent. Both are easy to use and
they are always sharp and do not require sharpening. I've been turning
since 1998 and find these carbide tools nice to use. I feel they are
well worth the money and they save time learning to sharpen.

But as others have stated, do not purchase a set of tools!!! Decide
what you want to turn and then purchase the tools needed to do it. For
example, if you want to turn spindles (grain running along the
direction of rotation), you need a spindle roughing gouge, a 3/8 inch
or 1/2 inch spindle gouge, a skew chisel, and a parting tool. If you
want to turn bowls, you need a 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch bowl
gouge depending upon how large of bowls you plan to turn, a wide heavy
duty round nose scraper to smooth up the ridges left by the bowl
gouge, and I recommend a good four jaw woodturning chuck such as Nova,
Vicmarc, Oneway, Robert Sorby, Vermec.

You may find some useful information at my web site also.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net