Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] upsidedown@downunder.com is offline

Default Higher wattage for a resistor ever bad?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:11:18 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

When I come across a burnt resistor, I usually replace it with one
rated for twice the wattage as the original, but I was told it's
sometimes bad to do that. Why? I'm not referring to fuse resistors
but ordinary carbon composition resistors.

A larger resistor may have different stray inductances and
capacitances, which might affect some RF circuits.