Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Planes for smoothing

On Aug 16, 3:46*pm, Greg Guarino wrote:

I think that's my biggest source of doubt here; my ability to get the
blade sharp enough and straight enough. To repair my door I used a
two-sided stone that I found in a blister-pak at HD. Even I could tell
that it was not terribly fine.

Scary sharp. How much does a piece of plate glass and
a few sheets of 600, 1000, and 2000 grit wet-dry paper
cost compared to a "professional" stone, such as a Shapton
glass ceramic?

So I'm wondering if planing wood is more like violin or guitar. Will I
get decent results that won't shame my family after a little practice,
and improve from there? Or will the first few years produce nothing but
firewood?

Jim Krenov planed everything. He compared a finely
tuned plane to a Stradivarius.