Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default hose leaking water?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:34:39 -0400, willshak
wrote:

leza wang wrote the following:
my garden water tab is leaking when i connect it to a water hose. I
have used different hose but got the same result exactly. Please see
the following 2 pictures. The first one show from where the water leak
and the second one shows that i cover the tab with white strap to
prevent water from leaking but it is not leaking from there, it is
leaking from other location, please see the picture (it is hard to
explain it)
thanks a lot.

http://tinypic.com/r/1y350y/7

If you turn the valve off and the leak stops, it's the hose coupling.
There is no other cause. The only way that water could be coming out of
the hose coupling like that is that there is no washer in there, or the
ferrule (that metal ring under the coupling nut that circles the hose)
is cracked inside the coupling.

Look at the first photo (zoom in). The wall is wet. If the valve
stem leaked I don't think it would wet the wall. It appeared to me
that water had run past the ferrule and "down" the hose as I stated
before. The reason I figure a bad washer.

http://tinypic.com/r/5yaowk/7

It's not leaking in the second picture without the hose attached, so the
valve assembly is good, unless you turned off the water to that valve
from inside the house.
You said you tried other hoses. Did you make sure there was a washer in
those (not using the same washer from the first hose)?

I'm still not CONvinced the problem is the hose bib stem valve. We
have two votes that think it is.

Maybe the OP will come back and tell us EXACTLY where the leak is.