Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Planes for smoothing

Greg Guarino wrote:
An analogy: I'm a musician, among other things; I'm a lot more skilled
on the piano than I am at woodworking. I also dabble on some other
instruments. While it takes a lot of practice to get truly good at any
instrument, some are simply painful to listen to unless played by a
near-expert. Violin is like that. The learning curve seems to be
"awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, EXPERT". Whereas a
novice can learn to strum a few guitar chords and make a reasonably
non-offensive sound in short order.

Could on a violin too if they'd just put frets on them

So I'm wondering if planing wood is more like violin or guitar. Will I
get decent results that won't shame my family after a little practice,
and improve from there? Or will the first few years produce nothing
but firewood?

It isn't *THAT* hard. Question is, do you really want to spend all that
time using a plane to make something smooth when their primary purpose is to
make it flat?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...