Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default Democracy in Action

J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

HeyBub wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

No, you're saying that only a "professional teacher" can teach, even a
technical subject.

Yes, but, they are, well, "professionals."

Years ago I did some research. I found that the following were ineligible to
teach in the high schools of my state:

That had to do with the fact that they would be teaching minors. The
laws are strict to protect minors.

Protect them from what, getting a decent education?

I'm just presenting what I know or believe. I wasn't present at the
debate and am not even taking sides. I believe some states (including
LA?), started allowing professionals to teach a few years ago. I'm not
sure how that went. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Bill

Colleges are different--they
establish their own policies. However they will act in ways to maintain
or enhance their accreditation with accreditation bodies. These concerns
are not taken lightly.

* All living Nobel Laureates (this was back when Richard P. Feynman was
alive).
* All winners of the Fields Medal
* Almost all literary prize winners, including Pulitzer, Edgar, Booker,
Caldecott, Newberry, etc.
* Virtually all members of the federal judiciary
* Virtually all members of the Congress and all living ex presidents

And on and on.

Simply because without the requisite "education" courses, it was presumed
they didn't know how to teach.