Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_5_] BigWallop[_5_] is offline

Default Floor Tiling. Need lots of help.

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

I had a look at the boards that Harry spoke about, and although they look
like a great idea and will probably be used under the tiles, I think

that
they might be alright on an already firm floor. As you say, I'm more
worried about the joists flexing in the middle when the kitchen/dining
furniture is put back in place and people are walking across the floor.

These old joists are still sound, but they do move a bit when the weight
is
on them. I know the area being tiled is small (1.5m X 4m) in comparison
to the whole floor area (7m X 5m in total), and that the tiles are to

one
supported end of the joists, but I'm still worried that the original
noggins, almost certainly positioned just in the center of the 7m span,
will
be enough to stop the floor sagging and popping the tiles off.

Especially
the tiles along the edge.

I wonder if I should just suck it and see, and prepare for the worst

from
the right off.

Sorry - misse dthe start of this...

Did anyone suggest 18mm ply sheet over the top, well screwed down and tile
to that?

Tim Watts

Thanks for that suggestion Tim, but 18mm would be a huge step up from the
rest of the floor level (18mm + adhesive + tile), and would also mean
cutting a lump off the bottom of a door. I'm still worried that even with
some type of ply or screed boards laid to reinforce the part of the floor
being tiled, even though my thought was to fix 6mm boards on top of the
floorboards, that the joists themselves will bend enough over their length
to pop the tiles back off.

Have done a bit research on adhesives, being normal cement based, resin
reinforced and the full flexible stuff, and they all state that the worst
situation they can withstand is up to 10mm deflection on the floor
structure. I'm sure that these old joists are moving as much as that when
we all gather in the room to chill out etc. I think it's time to gather the
muster, and the time, to go ahead and explore the floor fully to make an
informed decision on what to do.

Once more into the breach, dear friends. LOL