Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Skylight leak, 2nd post (with pics)

On Aug 16, 10:25*am, "
wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:11*am, RicodJour wrote:

On Aug 16, 6:28*am, Mikepier wrote:

In my opinion, the only way to do this job right is to tear out the
both layers of roof and start from scratch.I don't know if I got a new
skylight if it can be installed below the old shingles without
damaging the new shingles up there now.
My roof is still in good shape with no issues. I would hate to start
opening up a can of worms by replacing the skylight, plus money is an
issue for me right now.

Is it possible to tear out the old caulk/gasket surrounding the *glass
window and recaulk or re-seal? Is there a special caulk for skylights
or is it statndard caulk?

I know the leak is coming from the seals. If I could somehow just re-
seal it, that would solve the leak. And also what if I tried to seal
those holes from the inside, would I make matters worse.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Captain, the skylight is dead. *Let it go. *There's no guarantee that
you have only the leaks you think you've identified. *From the looks
of things I wouldn't be surprised if there is some rotted sheathing.
Opening things up will allow you to investigate.

Opening up the two layers of roof is more time-consuming but no more
complicated. *Assuming you have some extra top layer shingles, or they
are available, just unpeel the roof in two layers. *Building up the
lower layer of shingle is not as critical and you can use new shingles
or reusue the ones you pulled.

As far as your question about resealing the skylight - no, It is not
possible to reseal the glazing unless you are willing to disassemble
the skylight to do it. *Goobering caulk (any type) on the skylight
will at best be a very short-lived temp fix, and could make things
worse in a couple of different ways.

At this point we're in therapy mode. *People here are trying to help
you get over your relationship with your old, leaky skylight and move
on.

Agree with the above. *And when replacing, consider ones that open
with electric motors. *I have that type from Velux, which is the brand
I would recommend. *They've been working perfectly for 17 years now.
I open them enough that it was worth the extra money. *They also
have a rain sensor that closes them with the first couple drops of
rain if they happen to be left open when it rains.

*I wouldn't go with ones that open manually, as unless they open
*with a button I think I wouldn't use them much at all. *Either motors
or else just fixed ones.
ones.

Hey, you've already been spoiled by electrically operated self-closing
skylights - you no longer can be objective! The first time I
installed a Velux with the rain-sensor for a client I realized I
wouldn't be doing any more installations with other brands. Velux
makes a roof window - Cabrio or something like that - that has a small
fold out balcony railing. I'd love to have one of those installed in
a house with a steeper roof.

There may be equal or better brands of skylight compared to Velux, but
I don't know of any. They're not cheap, but they're quality and the
installation is logical and straightforward though not the simplest.
The simplest skylights are also called "sieves" or "future leak
locations".