Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_2_] Doug Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Drywall Joints Showing - Sometimes

In article , " wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:18=A0am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article =

..com, Edge wrote:

On Aug 14, 11:50=3DA0pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/13/2011 8:11 AM, Edge wrote:

DRYWALL primer would have probably prevented this. Another coat of
paint probably will cover it up.

Thanks guys for the sugguestions. I realize now that I should have
used a drywall primer on the new drywall to even out the porosity and
textural difference between the paper and the drywall compound.

Yes, you should have, but that's water under the bridge.

Now
that I have two coats of paint on, is it too late to apply a coat of
drywall primer

Yes, it is. Drywall primer at this stage is pretty well pointless. It's
intended for application on bare drywall, to provide a substrate for the
finish paint.

and another coat of paint.?

No, it's not too late for that. Just make sure you don't use a short-nap
roller cover this time...

Or is it best to apply a
skim coat?

Not any more -- unless you used flat paint, it isn't going to adhere very
well. And unless you're *really* good at applying drywall mud, it's going to
look a lot worse than it does now.

(I did see a Youtube video on Level 5 finishing that was
very interesting.) =A0I have a cathedral ceiling where it is most
obviously showing the seams under certain lighting conditions. I don't
think another coat of paint will cover it up.

I disagree. How long was the nap on the roller cover you used originally?
Probably 1/4" or 3/16", right? Try another coat, using a roller cover with a
3/8" or 1/2" nap instead. That will leave enough texture in the painted
surface that it will probably hide the variations.

With joints that are so noticeable, I think it's possible he has more
than just a sanding texture and primer issue, like maybe the
joints are not flat with the drywall.

Perhaps -- but if that were the case, he'd be seeing some shadows, too, which
he hasn't reported.

If he wants to experiment, I see no harm in just applying another
coat or two to just the area around one of the jointswith a 3/8 nap
roller as you suggested. Featering the paint out as he moves
away. I think there are 3 possibilities of what will happen:

A - It fixes it and it blends in with the rest of the ceiling

B - It fixes the joint issue, but now the newly painted area
of about a foot or so does not blend in well enough with
the rest of the ceiling, in which case he can just paint
the whole ceiling.

C - It doesn't fix it at all, in which case I'd say there is
something'
wrong with the joints beyond the painting.

If it comes to skim coating the entire ceiling, I'd just bite
the bullet and call in a pro. Won't cost all that much and
I think this is one job where years of experience pay off.

I agree down the line.