Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Town vs. Homeowner. Town loses.

On 8/15/2011 1:59 PM, RicodJour wrote:

That being said, there's no way in hell that the owner, being a zoning
pro consultant, didn't realize the survey was off by 5'. He knew. He
took advantage of it, and it's paid off handsomely.

Yeah, there is no way he didn't know, and even if he didn't, it's his
property, it's his responsibility TO know. It's still sweet to see the
vindictive fools running the town get mowed down.

in my area, as long as you leave 1 wall intact, you can raze the entire
rest of the building and expand the footprint to whatever you want, as
long as it meets zoning codes.

In my area, if you own something built before the zoning changed, you
can't do anything to it, no remodeling or anything, at least that's what
they tell you, not many listen to them, or even ask:-) A friend of mine
had an old garage, he ripped it down and built a green house on the
slab, looked great, then he learned he was not allowed to do that.
Nothing ever happened, and he eventually sold the house, and I think the
greenhouse was still there.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com