Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default OT. Turds in Iowa.

On 8/16/2011 8:07 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/15/2011 4:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

Greed is a word made up by man that defines excessive desire. Desire is
fine, excessive desire is not. Desire = good, excessive
desire = bad.

Okay, I'll play. In what way(s) is "excessive desire" bad?

Well first, you started the game with the statement that greed = good.

Excessive: going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or
degree; characterized by excess: excessive charges; excessive
criticism.
When you go beyond the "proper limit" that's considered bad.

Be careful in your choice to avoid the rejoinder "... then it's the
inability to control one's actions that's the culprit, not excessive
desire."

If you can control it, then the desire is not excessive, and greed
does not exist. When I "desire" your money so "excessively" I'm
willing to take it regardless of the consequences to you, my normal
desire for money became greed. Greed = bad.

You make a good point. Still, isn't "excessive" simply "more than normal"? I
suggest my hankering for strawberry shortcake may be greater than your
average bear's (though that's doubtful) but I can control it. If one cannot
control "excessive" desires, that person is, by definition, insane.

I guess one could make a case that all criminals are by definition,
insane. I, and our legal system disagree:-)

For example, if someone is plagued throughout life with a sexual desire for
small dogs, everyone would conclude his desire was "excessive."

I wouldn't, I'd say it was insane, or really abnormal.

Yet, until he ACTS on those desires, he may be considered the most
righteous member of
the community.

Only because no one is aware of his abnormal desires for screwing
animals. I doubt anyone would describe bestiality as greed.

You also make my point when you say "... I'm willing to take it
regardless..." Note the word "will." You made the decision [free will] to
act on that "excessive" desire. In my view, it is the TAKING that is bad,
not the inclination, even "excessive" inclination, to do so.

Yes, the action is bad. Greed is just a word the describes the
excessive desire that caused the action. Again, no action, then the
desire was probably not excessive. Intense perhaps, but not excessive.
Once you take action, there is little doubt the desire was excessive and
uncontrollable.

You can stop saying it now:-)

--
Jack