Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,de.sci.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Minifon P55 wire recorder , pocket size of mid 1950s

Adrian Tuddenham wrote in message
nvalid.invalid...
N_Cook wrote:

Adrian Tuddenham wrote in message
valid.invalid...
N_Cook wrote:

[...]

I'm starting to find differences from this schematic
http://vintage-technics.ru/Minifon%2...nned-P55-1.JPG
orientation of triple ganged master switch is different
I cannot find the fast acting switch parallel to the seriesed end or

reel
switches

The first place I would look is around the operating key bank. I

assume
it momentarily by-passes the end-of-spool switches, so it is probably
operated from one end of the slide locking bar on the key bank.

Have you tried following the end-of-spool wires back from the deck

plate
onto the amplifier board (if they haven't fallen off yet) ? They

might
lead you to it.

I can see why the 2 end of reel switches are in series but not why that
"switch" is in parallel with another one , the fast acting one, as it

will
do nothing unless at the end of reel , which has to act before the fast

one
, so what is the point?

I haven't got the machine in front of me, but my guess is:

At end of reel, the motor is disconnected and then cannot run either
way. Pressing a button will operate the slide bar and momentarily
re-connect the motor for long enough to get the wire moving and re-close
the limit switch circuit.

It could have been done much more elaborately, so that each direction
button operated in association with the appropriate limit switch; but
that would have involved more wires from the deck to the chassis and
extra switches on the button bank.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

So a mistranslation, for "fast acting" read short duration momentary on.
There is some sort of leaf switch under the master sw bank although I cannot
see any wire to it without removing the master sw. This is activated by the
stop slideway.
Indeed, should a reel stop, with the end of wire spring-out lever touching
an end sensing switch then the motor would be locked out without such a
fudge or manually turning the spool.
Presumably p19 of the user manual about the red light coming on at end of
spool