Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Town vs. Homeowner. Town loses.

On 8/15/2011 11:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
m...
"[Worth Township, Mich] All a homeowner wanted was to remodel his cottage.
Thirteen years later, the work remains undone. But everything else in this
woody lakefront resort in the Thumb has turned upside down. A series of
mistakes by local officials fighting the renovation led to a nearly $1
million judgment against the township last year. Lacking adequate
insurance, it levied a special assessment against its 3,800 residents last
month."

http://detnews.com/article/20110813/...#ixzz1V5x8WCiV

If it is like most township governments, it is run by a little dictator that
thinks he is the ruler of the entire kingdom. Maybe he got what he
deserved. No talk, no compromise, just follow the book.

Hey! My township had some supervisors like that. We recalled their sorry
asses.

Yeah, I read that article. If I was that guy, I'd be scared to move into
the place- some of the neighbors may take the court settlement pricing
them out of their vacation cottages personally. Stuff like this is a
good example of why MI needs to do away with all these itty-bitty
governments, and just do all the housekeeping stuff at the county level.
Not like the county seat is an overnight horseback ride away, any more.
And since all the units of gov in this state are basically broke, it
would cut the overhead a bunch.

--
aem sends...